The fish has two main characteristics: tones up the QI and nourishes Blood, while enhancing diuresis. Thus, it is in general indicated in case of water retention. Cod fish, in particular, acts on Liver calming Inner Wind (i.e. dizziness) and with its neutral energy and sweet flavour matches well with the sour taste of lemon.
As a side dish potatoes here work great, having the same direction of cod fish, primarily on Spleen and Stomach and tonifying QI. Plus the combination with celery and carrots, apart from giving some nice colour, reinforces once more the Liver and the digestion. Easy, complete and tasty dish!
Serves 2 –Easy– Prep time: 30 minutes
You will need:
- 6 cod fillets (frozen is fine);
- ½ lemon;
- 4 medium potatoes;
- 1 carrot;
- 2 stalks of celery;
- 3 sprigs of parsley;
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil;
- a pinch of salt.
To prepare the fish:
- Wash the fillets and place in a hot pan;
- cut the lemon into slices to lay on top of the fillets;
- add a cup of water and cook over low heat for 10-15 minutes, until it becomes whitish and soft.
To prepare the salad:
- Wash and boil the potatoes;
- chop the carrots and celery with a food processor;
- peel the potatoes, cut into cubes and place in a bowl;
- mix the potatoes with the carrots and celery;
- add the chopped parsley, season with salt and extra virgin olive oil.