How is this clumsy start of summer going? Here we are back to you with a new pasta recipe! This is our personal version of pesto sauce and you can either try it warm or cold, as you wish. The addition of rocket to the traditional basil basis makes the flavour of the pesto a little more bitter, reinforcing the action on Stomach and helping moving up QI and purifying Heat. Pine nuts are great because they nourish Yin and at the same time tonify Yang (of Kidney), i.e. they provide energy that can be used. Parmesan makes the pesto texture creamy and substitutes salt. The final touch of cherry tomatoes gives some nice spots of colour and adds freshness and sweetness to the dish. Funny coincidence: tomatoes according to TCM promote the digestion of starch! So here we go once more, tasty and healthy!
Serves 2/3 -Easy- Prep time:30 minutes
You will need:
- 100 g rocket;
- 50 g pine nuts;
- 60 g parmesan cheese;
- 10 g basil (10 15 leaves);
- 8 tablespoons of olive oil;
- 150 g cherry tomatoes;
- 150 g pasta (Penne rigate);
- Wash the rocket salad and basil;
- Blend the rocket salad, the pine nuts, the basil and parmesan cheese until smooth, and not too thick;
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in 4;
- Bring water to boil, add a tablespoon of salt and dive in the pasta;
- Let cook in boiling water for the time indicated by the package, and save half a cup of cooking water.
- drain the pasta and mix with the pesto, adding a little bit of cooking water in case the sauce results too thick;
- and cherry tomatoes, serve hot or cold (it works well in your fridge in a tupper, to bring to work! But don’t heat it in the microwave afterwards!)
TIP: The left over pesto can be kept in the refrigerator in a glass jar, topped with a layer of olive oil to prevent oxidation. Alternatively, you can freeze it in single portions e.g. ice cube mold or small plastic glasses. Before using the pesto thaw it leaving overnight in the fridge or at room temperature during the day. If you want to make sure that the sauce will keep a bright green color, put the mixer/blender in the freezer before using it for at least one hour, and you will avoid oxidation of the greens.
We are listening to: