[button link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLnUJQut-kc” color=”blue”]We are listening to: Kool and the gang – Ladies night[/button]
Mussels are #Womenfriendly
Long desired summer holidays, here they are. Days swing well balanced between resting and movida, and if you are lucky enough you might have some more time to spend cooking. Take a walk up to the local market and get inspired to experiment with new dishes, or maybe just take the time to prepare one of the beloved mama’s recipes. Today, this was the case for us!
After a nice morning stroll, here we come back with plenty of fresh fish, hungry and craving for a good plate of spaghetti.
“Ladies’ pasta” is easy and fast to prepare. After you have steamed the mussels, the sauce will be done in the time of boiling the pasta, and you and your guest will immediately feel the taste of holidays by the sea.
According to TCM, mussels are particularly suitable for women because they help to regulate menstrual cycle, nourishing Yin and Blood (of Liver and Kidney), purifying Heat and moving up blood circulation. Parsley and garlic are also warm in energy and they both reinforce these functions, adding a pleasant Mediterranean note.
Just make sure not to overcook spaghetti: they have to be really al dente to match with this sauce at their best.
And don’t worry guys, we are gentlewomen and save some for you too!
Serves 4 -Easy– Prep time: 40 minutes
You will need:
- 400 g spaghetti;
- 500 g mussels*;
- 3-4 tablespoons of olive oil;
- a handful of fresh parsley;
- 200 g cherry tomatoes;
- 2-3 pieces of garlic;
- red hot chili peppers;
- cooking salt.
- Bring water to boil in a big pot;
- when the water is boiling add a handful of cooking salt and the pasta (let it cook for the time indicated on the package minus one minute!);
- in the meanwhile stir in a big pan the garlic (and some chili pepper if you want) with olive oil for a couple of minutes;
- add the tomatoes (cut in 2) and cook them for 4-5 minutes;
- add the mussels without shells*;
- add the broth left from cooking the mussels to the pan with the tomatoes and the mussels;
- drain the the pasta well and mix it in the pan with the sauce on a high speed fire for couple of minutes so it gets more taste from the sauce;
- finish off with fresh chopped parsley, serve immediately and enjoy!
*wash carefully the mussels, put them in a big pot with a bit of olive oil, then cover and let them steam for 5-10′ on a low fire so they will open (throw away the ones which do not open). Get rid of the small “alga” which comes out of them. Keep the broth that will be in the pot (filter it and store it in a big cup).