[button link=”https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33PR_R5kzi8″ color=”blue”]We are listening to: OK Go – Bright as your eyes[/button]
How to re-boost your energy in winter? Just pay attention to Swiss chards next time you go to the greengrocer’s! Don’t get scared by their large leaves invading the other vegetables baskets nearby. Try them at least once, you won’t regret it! Just follow our easy instructions and discover how to handle them, preparing some fluffy yummy soufflé. The secret of this recipe relies on texture, because the ingredients used are very simple.
According to TCM, Swiss chards are cool in energy, as most of leafy greens, and both sweet and bitter in flavour. They act on Spleen/Stomach, helping digestion with a mild laxative effect, and also on Lung, where they can purify Heat. Their function of nourishing and moving up Blood is also confirmed by Western medicine, because of their content in iron (non-eme of course!) and vitamin C (which helps in the absorption).
Just out of curiosity, did you know that green Swiss chard is a biannual plant? So better you get to know it, because it is around for all the year!
Serves 2 (7 small cakes) -Easy– Prep time: 45 minutes (30 preparation + 15 cooking)
You will need:
- 250 g of green Swiss chard;
- 50 g of stale bread;
- 1 egg;
- 200 ml of milk;
- 4 tablespoons parmesan cheese;
- a pinch of pepper;
- a pinch of salt.
- Wash and boil the chard leaves in plenty of water;
- drain, let cool and squeeze the chard leaves very well;
- meanwhile, soak the bread in milk;
- squeeze the bread and keep the milk left;
- with a food processor coarsely chop the swiss chards;
- in a container mix well bread, Swiss chard, Parmesan cheese and an egg working the mix with your hands;
- add the remaining milk, salt and pepper and mix well;
- use a non-stick or silicone moldes (for muffins) and pour in 3-4 tablespoons of the mixture, until reaching the rim;
- bake at 190°C degrees for 15 minutes, do not overcook, the mixture should be soft and fluffy;
- flip the cakes onto a plate and serve warm;
- add some sesame seeds on top to garnish.