Today we propose you our vegetarian reinterpretation of a traditional Russian recipe: Goluzbi!
Follow us step by step and we’ll guide you how to prepare these rolls and provide you an original idea for cooking the omni-present cabbages. You’ll need a bit of time but simple ingredients: savoy cabbage, potatoes and onions make the base of this really tasty dish, spiced up with the help of some aged cheese (pecorino or Parmesan cheese, to your liking) and tomato sauce.
Looking at it from the perspective of Traditional Chinese Medicine, these rolls go directly to feed the center and tone the QI of Spleen; the add of garlic, onion and the chili pepper bring along a little bit of heat, quite handy in the cold season. Finally, you’d be happy to know that savoy cabbages are very effective to soothe stomach aches and dry cough (from heat or dryness), a quite frequent torment in this season.
So assembling old ingredients we obtained a new, tasteful, rich main dish, a long way from a dull side dish of stewed cabbage or the old not-so-glamorous steamed potatoes.
And again we end up speaking of Form and Substance, words that keep on coming back, not only in the kitchen.
Serves 4 -Medium Difficulty- Prep time: 1h and 30′
You will need:
- One savoy cabbage;
- three medium potatoes;
- one onion
- some grated pecorino or Parmesan;
- one egg;
- 250 ml passata;
- a clove of garlic;
- chili pepper;
- extra virgin olive oil.
- Boil the potatoes, drain and peel them;
- take out 8 large outer leaves from the cabbage and large, cut out a triangle of the hard stem and cook in boiling water for about 5 minutes;
- drain and set aside;
- chop the onion and let it cook over low heat with a tablespoon of olive for 5 minutes;
- chop in small pieces half of the remaining cabbage, and add it to the pan with the onion;
- cook adding a little bit of water whenever it dries out too much, for about 20 minutes and until the cabbage is soft;
- mash the potatoes with a fork;
- add the cooked cabbage, a whole egg, salt&pepper and a little bit of grated Parmesan or pecorino;
- Prepare a large pot with high edges, and pan-fry a clove of garlic with a tablespoon of olive oil and the spicy chilli;
- add the tomato puree and cook for 10 minutes over low heat;
- assembled the rolls: lay a spoon of the mix in the middle of one large cabbage leaf, then close it up as a package with care. If you want you can fix them with a skewer.
- lay the rolls in the pan with the tomato sauce;
- cover with a lid, and let cook for about 30 minutes over a low heat;
- serve warm.
- if there was some cabbage-potatoes mix leftover, you can assemble some small balls, dust them with breadcrumbs and cook them in a pan with some olive oil.
We are listening to: