Dear incuQIna’s friends,
here you have the winners of the Carrots contest!
As we had mentioned in March, every month we’ll present you an ingredient on which we’ll have a small nutritional and beyond in-depth post. We started with carrots, and during this month we enthusiastically collected your suggestions.
It was not easy to pick a winner, and we ended up choosing two! We obviously have tested the recipes and we can promise you they are tasty and good. Moreover, they have both a good nutritional balance.
Martina’s grandma’s Pasta is a first dish that, as she said, “puts you in a good mood because is colorful, healthy and light”, and we add to this that is also really fast! The simple ingredients don’t include any meat or dairy products, so the pasta is also unconsciously vegan. And if you instead use a corn or rice pasta, here you have a dish perfect for celiacs!
Caterina’s cake is incredibly soft and has a delicate taste that makes perfect for breakfast. Also in this case, the choice of ingredients was quite careful and not random: rice milk or yogurt, sunflower seeds oil to replace butter, and the spicy touch of cinnamon. Carrots are this time perfectly accompanied by apples and their slightly sour taste. This cake is perfect also for people who are lactose-intolerant. Enjoy!
Our winners will receive at their home a small incuQIna homage. Thanks again to everyone for participating with your beautiful ideas! Can’t wait for the next contest
Martina’s grandma springtime Pasta
You will need:
- 1 nice big carrot or 2 small ones carrots
- a clove of garlic
- half of red onion
- 5 tsp of extra virgin olive oil;
- 400g spaghetti or linguine
- Finely chop all the vegetables (except the garlic), the parsley and the basil;
- cut the garlic into three and mix it with the chopped vegetables;
- drizzle with olive oil and salt;
- while the vegetables are sitting to “mariante”, bring water to boil;
- cook the pasta for the time indicated (usually 9-10 minutes) in boiling salted water;
- put aside half a cup of cooking water;
- drain the pasta, and season with the vegetables. If needed add a little ‘of water from the pasta.
You will need:
- 225 g of whole wheat flour;
- 180 g of sugar (white or brown);
- 100 g of grated carrots;
- 2 apples;
- 2 eggs;
- 80 g of sunflower seeds oil;
- 3 tsp of baking soda;
- 50 g rice milk or white yogurt
For the icing:
- 150 g icing sugar
- lemon juice.
- Cut the apples into dices and drizzle them with a little bit of lemon juice and cinnamon;
- beat the eggs with the sugar
- add the carrot, oil, milk and a tablespoon of cinnamon and stir well;
- add the diced apples;
swift the flour and the baking soda, and finally add it to the mix;
- pour in a baking tray lined with parchment paper;
- bake in the pre-heated oven at 180C for 40 minutes, or until a skwer comes out clean
- While the cake is baking, prepare the icing mixing the sugar and the lemon juice;
- as an alternative, stir a teaspoon of icing sugar and one of cinnamon, and sieve them over the cake before backing. It will make a nice, fragrant crust.
We are listening to: