Who said onions are anti-social? We are about to prove you wrong!
Take some small fresh onions and let them cook slowly with some sugar and vinegar. You’ll have a great snack to nibble with friends while drinking an aperitif in one of these fresh nights, preludes to full springtime. See how their strong taste, which comes from the high amount of sulfoxides, mitigates with the long cooking time, also making the onions easier to digest for everyone.
Considered sacred from the ancient Egiptians, who believed they could see in its concetric circles a symble of aethernal life, the onion is one of the basic ingredients of many preparations in different culinary tradition, from far est to far west.
According to Traditional Chinese Medicine, the onion is useful for Stomach (directing the QI down, eliminating food stasis) and Lung (transforming the tan and resolving cough). It has lukewarm termic nature, and for this is not indicated in case of excessive heat or stomach acidity. Thanks to its diuretic action, it’s a helpful friend to kick out Cold, and has also an antimicrobial action.
So we hope we gave you enough reasons to give another chance to onions, and to not forget them in a corner of your frige
Serves some friends –Easy– Prep time 40′
You will need:
- Small onions
- Brown sugar
- White vinegar
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Put 1 part of water and 1 part of white vinegar to boil;
- dive in the onions and let boil for 10 minutes;
- drain the onions, then put them in a pan with a tablespoon of olive oil on a low heat;
- add a spoon of brown sugar and half a glass of water, and let the onion caramelize for as much as possible (between 10 and 30 minutes). Bear in mind that the more you will let them cook the softer and sweeter they’ll be;
- they will release some water themselves, but you might need to add a little bit during the cooking process;
- serve them as a party snack, or as a side dish.