And what about salads?
According to taste and tradition, salads appear on menus in different positions: in the North of Europe they are often featured among the first or main courses, while as we move south they are often just considered simple side dishes, a light accompaniment to heavy main courses.
Today, dear friends of incuQIna, we’ll introduce you to a salad that can stand for itself being a rich, nutritious and colorful dish. We designed this recipe for the Mojo-yoga Yoga&Detox retreat: together with our friend Marijke, talented photographer and brave cook, this Mechelen-based studio organizes two days of detox and yoga practices in the relaxed contour of Zeeland. We’ll keep you posted about this!
But let’s go back to our salad.
It’s vegan and gluten free, with mixed raw and cooked ingredients that create a crunchy and soft texture. It’s quite fast, really easy (no special skills, no strange ingredients required) and really good.
Potatoes and chickpeas will provide the solid foundation and, thanks to their thermal neutral nature and their sweet flavor, they bring a good amount energy to the center (in Spleen-stomach). Green beans are also moving in the same direction and calm thirst, while the addition of artichokes makes this dish perfect for spring thanks to their calming/draining effect of liver and biliary vesicle. Finally, the cherry tomatoes add crispness, color and they are a comforting sign that summer is not so far away! Add some flax seeds to give consistency to the light dressing, and and enjoy!
Serves 4 –Easy- Prep time: 30′ (plus 1 day of soaking+1h cooking the chickpeas)
You will need:
- 50 gr dried chickpeas (150 gr already boiled)
- 600gr potatoes
- 3-4 artichokes (about 1kg)
- 300 gr green beans
- 15-20 cherry tomatoes
- 2 lemons
- extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup flax seeds
- Chickpeas: Soak them overnight; drain them and put them to cook in a large pot with cold water. Let cook for around 45 minutes, then add some salt. If you are not going to continue cooking immediately, better leave them in their own cooking water;
- Potatoes:Peel and boil them until tender, then drain and cut in 4.
- Artichokes: Fill a bowl with cold water and the juice of half a lemon. Clean well the artichokes removing the hard external leaves and peeling the stem. Remember to always rub them well with a lemon to avoid oxidization. Cut them in 4 and get rid of the internal beard and thorns and leave them in the bowl with water and lemon until you are done cleaning all of them; put them to boil together with the green beans for about 15 minutes
- Green beans: Remove the edges from the green beans and wash them; put them to boil together with the artichokes for about 15 minutes
- Tomatoes: Wash the tomatoes and cut them in 2;
- Flax seeds: Soak them for 4 hours or overnight. Drain and wash them well.
- Combine all the ingredients, then season with the flax seeds and a vinaigrette prepared with 6 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil, the juice of half a lemon and a pinch of salt.
We are listening to: