After almost two years of incuQIna we think you know us enough to understand that, despite of our Italian origins, we love to bring to the table also flavours from all over the world. And so today our Anna brings you to the far away Russia. She has many friends coming from this great and wonderful land, and over the years she developed a proper obsession for buckwheat (find out why here!).
And here you go: Blini. Some kind of crepes-pancakes made with buckwheat flour, traditionally prepared at the end of winter for the week of Maslenitsa (the eight week before the Ortodox Easter). We served them with their classic filling: Smoked salmon, Chives and fresh cheese.
As it happens for crepes, also your first blini will look a bit ugly (but always good). So don’t worry, keep them aside (eat them!) a nd keep up with the production! Once they cooled down, you can fill them, roll them, cut them as if they were small ‘makis’ and serve them as a rich, unusual entree. Just the way we like it!
- For brunch with a colorful dish of fresh fruits or a nice juice
- As an aperitif
- As a main course at lunchtime with a vegetable side
- High satiating power;
- good carbs/ proteins ratio;
- Omega 3 source.
Traditional Chinese Medicine says:
- Nourishing, good blood toner, slightly dampen.
Medium Difficulty-Prep time: 2h
You will need:
- ⅔ of a cup of wheat flour
- ⅓ of a cup of buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast (or baking powder)
- 1 cup of lukewarm milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 egg
for the filling:
- fresh creamy cheese (we used goat)
- smoked salmon
- Mix the two flour with a pinch of salt and the baking powder;
- make a well, pour the warm milk and stir;
- Let the batter rest for about an hour;
- add the melted butter and the egg yolk. Mix well;
- beat the egg whites until stiff;
- combine the egg white with the rest of the mixture and let sit for another 20 minutes;
- Melt a knob of butter in a pan;
- pour a ladle of the batter to form a pancake of about ½ cm thick (but quite wide);
- When the mixture begins to darken (and begin to form bubbles), turn the blinis with decision to cook the other side;
- beat the cheese with some chopped chives;
- stuff the blinis with a layer of cheese, a slice of smoked salmon roll them on themselves;
- cut into slices and enjoy!