Today we want to share with you a small twist to one of the culinary spring classics: eggs and asparagus. Albeit their original version is surely delicious (sunny side up and boiled asparagus) we decided for a change to add a layer of fresh and green lamb lettuce, decorate with some thin coloured radish slices and season with some good olive oil and lemon juice.
We are also going to share some wisdom from Anna (our nutritionist) on the why this dish has a special nutritional value and does you good. What else? A soundtrack maybe? Well, we can provide that too! So pump up the music and, if you like, while eggs and asparagus are boiling find out something more about these four gorgeous ingredients.
EGGS: they are the protein source with the highest biological value (containing all the essential amino acids and of easy intake). They have been erroneously blamed to increase the dreaded cholesterol (see here). Distinguished by a great filling power, according to Traditional Chinese Medicine eggs have a real calming effect on the Shen (spirit) and are recommended in pregnancy to calm the baby.
ASPARAGUS: these vegetables are the princes of Spring and particularly useful at this time of the year for their strong diuretic and detoxifying effect. Excellent as ANTIPARASSITARI for the TCM
LAMB LETTUCE (Valerianella Locusta): like all other green leafy vegetables, it “purifies Heat”, to put it in “Eastern” terms. It quenches thirst and provides precious liquids especially at this time of year when we should remember to drink more water because of temperature rise. In the west is well known for its relaxing effect.
RADISHES: their slightly spicy flavor helps digestion, besides giving a touch of color to the dish and increasing its general draining and refreshing effect.
Ooooh la. Have a good dinner our dear incuQIna friends
For 2 people (4 if used as a side) –Easy- Prep time: 20′
You will need:
- 250 g lamb lettuce;
- a bunch of asparagus;
- 2-3 eggs;
- 3-4 radishes;
- a lemon, good quality olive oil, salt.
- Wash the asparagus and cut out their woody parts.
- Put the asparagus and the eggs to boil in two separate pots, covered with cold water. After 4-5 minutes from boiling, drain both. You will get soft boiled eggs, if you wish to have hard boiled eggs keep them to boil for 7-8 minutes;
- In the meanwhile, wash the radishes and the lamb lettuce;
- cut the radishes in thin slices, peel the eggs and cut them in 4;
- compose your salad starting with a generous layer of lettuce then add all the rest of the ingredients;
- Prepare an emulsion with 4-5 tablespoons of olive oil, 2-3 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and couple of pinches of salt;
- Enjoy while the eggs and the asparagus are still a little bit warm, or pack it for your lunch at the park or at the office. If you are planning to do so, bring the emulsion separately and add at the very last minute before enjoying the salad!